Friday, May 24, 2013

RedHat update problems because of bind conflict.

This is the second time all my RedHat servers stopped automatically updating.


The error when you run:

yum update


Error:


--> Processing Conflict: bind97-libs conflicts bind-libs
--> Processing Conflict: bind97-libs conflicts bind-libs
--> Processing Conflict: bind97-utils conflicts bind-utils
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
32:bind97-libs-9.7.0-17.P2.el5_9.1.x86_64 from rhel-x86_64-server-5 has depsolving problems
--> bind97-libs conflicts with bind-libs
32:bind97-utils-9.7.0-17.P2.el5_9.1.x86_64 from rhel-x86_64-server-5 has depsolving problems
--> bind97-utils conflicts with bind-utils
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:2.6.18-308.20.1.el5 set to be erased
--> Processing Conflict: bind97-libs conflicts bind-libs
--> Processing Conflict: bind97-libs conflicts bind-libs
--> Processing Conflict: bind97-utils conflicts bind-utils
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
32:bind97-libs-9.7.0-17.P2.el5_9.1.x86_64 from rhel-x86_64-server-5 has depsolving problems
--> bind97-libs conflicts with bind-libs
32:bind97-utils-9.7.0-17.P2.el5_9.1.x86_64 from rhel-x86_64-server-5 has depsolving problems
--> bind97-utils conflicts with bind-utils
Error: bind97-utils conflicts with bind-utils
Error: bind97-libs conflicts with bind-libs
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
package-cleanup --dupes
rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
 


We run automatic updates on many of our servers:

# automatically install updates
do_update = yes
# automatically download updates
do_download = yes
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = yes 



When errors like the ones above, automatic updates just break without notification.


To fix the above problem I checked which version of bind we had installed:

# rpm -qa | grep bind
bind-devel-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.5
bind-devel-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.5
bind-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.5
ypbind-1.19-12.el5_6.1
bind-libs-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.5
bind97-libs-9.7.0-10.P2.el5_8.4
bind97-utils-9.7.0-10.P2.el5_8.4
bind-libs-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.5
bind-utils-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.5


RedHat 5.x defaults version is 9.3.x.   There was no reason 9.7.x was installed, so we removed it:

yum remove bind97-libs 

Since the all the 9.7.x bind utils depend on this package, all 9.7.x packages will be removed.  

This fixed our problem.   Be sure to confirm you don't need the 9.7.x functionality before removing any packages! 



FYI: I never have problem with my Ubuntu servers.   This is the second time RedHat has failed me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers